Travelling in Madhya Pradesh
Unlike the west, the road conditions in India changes a lot in a short period. What is mentioned here is true as of December 2011. Traffic in Bhopal is quite bad (just like any other city in India). Auto-rickshaws are the best way to get around. They don't go by the meter. But the prices they quoted were reasonable. Travel between cities is easy assuming you don't mind hiring a car and a driver. Roads connecting the cities are not in a great condition. So account for extra time in your travel. Try to start early. That will help you beat the traffic.
Bhopal Museums: Museum of Anthropology and State museums. Both are gems. You wouldn't see this good museums anywhere in the nation.
Bhimbetka Rock Art Site.
Bhojpur temple (you can combine this with Bhimbetka).
Udayagiri caves and Sanchi.
- Taj-ul-masjid: It is one of the biggest we have seen.
- Manuban ki tekari: Jain temple on top of this hill is pretty and the sunset is quite nice.
You get Panjabi food everywhere. Be prepared to eat a lot of nan and paneer.
Jehan Numa Palace, Bhopal: Rooms are basic. Toilets are spacious and fantastic. Breakfast is included and is quite a feast. Location is close to the two museums. Value for money is not good.
- Palash Residency, Bhopal: Good rooms. Reasonable toilets. Breakfast is included and is good. Room service good is quite tasty. The location is quite good. The only problem is that things can get a bit noisy when there are large marriage parties.
Gateway Retreat, Sanchi: It really feels like a resort. Rooms are very nice and specious. Outside decor is fantastic. Definitely a must-stay.
Bhopal to Bhojpur: 30kms, 45mins. Road is reasonable upto the temple.
Bhojpur to Bhimbetka: 25kms, 1.5hrs. The last stretch of 5 odd kms is so bad that it will take you an hour to get across that stretch!
Bhopal to Sanchi: 65kms, 1.5hrs: Road is good, but it is mostly one lane each way.
Time Required at the Sites
- Anthropology Museum, Bhopal: About 2 hours.
- State Museum, Bhopal: About 1 to 2 hrs.
- Bhimbetka Rock Shelters: About 1 to 2 hrs. I recommend taking a guide. Most of them don't speak English though.
- Bhojpur temple: About 30 mins.
- Udayagiri caves: About 30mins to an hour.
- Sanchi: About 2 to 4 hrs. I recommend taking a guide. Most of them don't speak English though.
- Manuban ki Tekari: If the winch does not function, it is a stiff 30min climb.